Ok,
I normally don't like to rant... ;)
... why is it that immigration is soooo messed up in this country (well, and probably any other country anyway, but you would think the U.S. would have gotten it right by now)...
They denied my mom's request for a tourist visa back in December of 2008, she wanted to come spend time with her new granddaughter, Evie who was born in February 2009. I guess she didn't seem honest to them because she is poor... and with an absurd syllogism: "I am poor, therefore I want to move to the U.S. illegally to get rich..." and deny her the visa... Well, but that is another story I have already complained about in many posts here...
Now, the only way for my mom to spend time with us and her granddaughter and get to travel the U.S. with us is to get a permanent resident card after I become a citizen... ironic? No, I think it is plain stupid! So, here I am thinking, I can start my naturalization process right now since it has been 3 years of U.S. and I should have my permanent resident card in hand (they ask for a copy of it... why? not sure)... wait, I forgot a detail... in April 2008 I applied for the 10-year permanent residency card. And the waiting game begins...
I got a letter a few weeks after the approval of the 10-year card which was February 25, 2009 (notice it was almost a year after applying for it in the first place)... Makes you wonder what the USCIS folks were doing this entire time, playing golf? The letter said that if within 60 days from then I didn't receive my card I should call the USCIS 1800# (another "very intuitive" message system to follow). Well, you guessed right: 60 days after the APPROVAL I started calling every week... One of the operators sent an email to the USCIS local office that was processing my case. I called a few days later, an enigmatic response saying that I should get it in the mail soon and that if I needed to leave the country before that I could go to their office and get a stamp in my passport allowing me back in when I return...
Makes you wonder why I paid over $600 for this service, right? No wait, not a service, a "favor" (it seems like)...
Called again later and the next agent said that I would have to wait 30 days from the last notice so they'd be able to email the local office to ask for a status again. Ha! Here I am, 90 days AFTER I was supposed to HAVE MY CARD and nothing. Called them again exactly a month later (May 28)... the agent sent the local office another notification.
I got an email this week (notice it is a no-reply email address) saying I should receive the card within 60 days (if not, contact USCIS)!!!!!
Do I need to compare this to a restaurant, where you pay for a service and you are (generally) served well and appreciated as a customer? I guess you get the idea...
USCIS = incompetence...
And my mom still doesn't get to come... but we're going to visit soon... if I get my card... well I can always waste my time and go to the office to get a stamp on my passport... after paying $600+ for a card... yes, I get a stamp for $600+, it feel like...
Thursday, June 04, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I feel your pain, Enzo. So glad I am done dealing with those people! Most frustrating time of my life, but so worth it! The day of my naturalization is one I'll never forget. Hang in there!
Post a Comment