Although I have always listened and enjoyed U2's music, it wasn't until the 1997 Pop Tour that I admitted being a fan and started collecting CDs. No, I am not one of those fan(atics) that will collect all kinds of junk they don't even have space to store, but I love their music, their attitude, their message, their success and even how they've learned with their failures in their career.
So, back in 1997 I was still in high school (yes, basically some 20 years after U2 already had achieved fame) and I was NOT able to go to a concert. It was too expensive for my family's conditions, it was far (no real big bands EVER go to my town, which is not São Paulo or Rio de Janeiro) and I would have to travel to either townm which, without adventurous friends to encourage and acompany me, I wouldn't have done anyway.
It was a sad day when Paige had purchased a pair of tickets to the Vertigo tour thinking I was going to be here in America in time. Naive, aren't we? A broken immigration system stood in our way. Although we weren't kneeling at the time, "blessings aren't just for the ones who kneel". It was painful, and this was just ONE of the moment in which we felt helpless, hopeless and just wanted to be with one another and enjoy simple things... like a U2 concert.
The blessing was realized later when the broken immigration system was used by God to bring us together and take a step perhaps we wouldn't have taken at HIS time if it wasn't for the visa denials and despair: we got married.
Long story short: we have a beautiful daughter (Evelyn) and we have just been to the U2 360º Tour in Atlanta (October 6th, 2009). Fours years after that concert we weren't allowed to enjoy together. God brought us together to enjoy that moment once denied and this is just an illustration of how waiting for His timing, although all I wanted to sing in my heart at the time was "hanging on, you're all that's left to hold on to... I'm still waiting", wounded by fear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment